Trackday Riders Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > TDR ADVERTISER > For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bespoke thumb brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Racer
Racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zxrjohn14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bespoke thumb brakes
    Posted: 21 October 2017 at 16:59
following on from the advert in the wrong section (D'oh), I have know perfected the thumb brakes.
I can knock a bespoke thumb brake up for £150 plus post in aluminium, this would include, a small master cylinder (not brembo!!), up to 2 meters of brake line and 2 straight banjo's. it would be up to you to fit it from there. if you want it any different, let me know and i'll do them. if you wanted to use your own master cylinder or supply your own line etc, let me know and we'll sort the price out

A deposit of £30 per master cylinder paid by paypal for commitment reasons and you can pay goods and services if you want.
you will have to let me know what clamp size, and please make sure that it is taken in the correct place of the fork leg as many legs taper below the bar clamp, how much line you want and your address, all through paypal please so i can keep track of stuff.

i have Goodridge braided line with black cover on the way and small 14mm bore master cylinders on the way too. one of the images shows a brembo, this is just to make sure that different master cylinders will work, but it would be up to you to space them to correct position for working if using your own master cylinder

this is just a hobby to keep me occupied at weekends and things will be made to order, so 7-10 day turnaround is to be expected.

if you want to get in touch, please pm me and i'll send you my number

edit: i can't get images up automatically

Edited by zxrjohn14 - 21 October 2017 at 17:02
anubis View Drop Down
fast Group
fast Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2017 at 17:18
ooh I like that, nice work.

What length is that lever?

I'm not sure it can be done but could this be connected in such a way that allows the foot lever to remain operational? (without buying a dual master from beringer that costs a fortune)
zxrjohn14 View Drop Down
Racer
Racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zxrjohn14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2017 at 17:45
Originally posted by anubis anubis wrote:

ooh I like that, nice work.

What length is that lever?

I'm not sure it can be done but could this be connected in such a way that allows the foot lever to remain operational? (without buying a dual master from beringer that costs a fortune)

Thank you, sir.
The length of the lever is 100mm from the pivot, but could be made longrr or shorter should someone wish. It just means I'd have to redraw and do a program for it.

There is a way to leave the foot lever on too, I've not dabbled with it myself, but know of it being done, and that's to connect the thumb brake line to where the reservoir is. This would involve tapping the bit or making something to adapt to take the banjo instead of the reservoir on the foot master cylinder. The banjo bolt would need a bleed nipple on it so it could be bled in two stages, thumb brake then foot lever.

Edited by zxrjohn14 - 21 October 2017 at 17:46
anubis View Drop Down
fast Group
fast Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2017 at 17:56
I'm definitely interested if you could do a 110mm lever with a 43mm clamp?

Do you think it could be done by connecting the line from the thumb master to the caliper itself and have a two MC system going or is that daft? I don't have an engineering background but lots of "bright" ideas giggle

I'm only asking this because me & the mrs will be sharing the bike and I'm not sure if she'll take to a thumb brake idea. Or at least have the option on the foot brake til she's used to it
zxrjohn14 View Drop Down
Racer
Racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zxrjohn14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2017 at 18:08
Hmm interesting.
I'm thinking the pressure would go through the equalization port and up the foot brake reservoir as this is what it's designed to do when the fluid expands to stop locking the brake on.
I may do a few tests regarding this.

I can do one for you no problem.
Pm me and I'll send payment details.
anubis View Drop Down
fast Group
fast Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2017 at 18:27
Fair point. I might just fit it and make her adjust lol
Gizago View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gizago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2017 at 19:11
I’m sure I’ve seen a valve somewhere that fits on the m/c to let you use both, I’ll see if I can find it.
www.moto-racespares.com
Use discount TDR10 at checkout
anubis View Drop Down
fast Group
fast Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2017 at 19:18
Great, thanks
Jaymo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaymo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2017 at 21:04
Originally posted by Gizago Gizago wrote:

I’m sure I’ve seen a valve somewhere that fits on the m/c to let you use both, I’ll see if I can find it.

Yep. GPtech do one- Poss avail through demon tweeks.
I didn’t bother and just used a single line only
zxrjohn14 View Drop Down
Racer
Racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zxrjohn14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 16:48
latest verion
anubis View Drop Down
fast Group
fast Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 19:12
^^^ that's mine, now I'm like this

Image result for me waiting for bike parts meme

(just realised pic doesn't show up on phone, oops)

Edited by anubis - 29 October 2017 at 19:35
anubis View Drop Down
fast Group
fast Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 19:59
Got mine!

These look cracking, really nicely made. I'm just waiting for a junction valve before I connect it all up.

If you're thinking about one of these then give John a shout, you won't be disappointed
carlinmidarlin View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlinmidarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2017 at 13:08
Hi , we're have you got your junction valve from mate , I'll be needing 1 real soon
Cheers mick
anubis View Drop Down
fast Group
fast Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote anubis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2017 at 10:40
I ordered it from here

http://www.hoheydesigns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=199

Few things to bear in mind -
They don't respond to emails
They take about two weeks to process the order
I was in the process of cancelling the order when I received tracking info and it's now in the UK

Other places are available like demon tweeks, they can get it from GPtech for £67 but they also order from the US with no lead time

HEL performance sent me one that could work but you have to tap it into the master cylinder, I couldn't make that work.

Bottom line if I was doing it again I'd just order through demon tweeks, at least then I'd have a point of contact in the UK

Hope this helps
slimjim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slimjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2017 at 17:47
This looks good!
I've been thinking about a thumb brake for my r6 fir a while.
anubis View Drop Down
fast Group
fast Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2017 at 17:50
So this arrived today. For all it is I reckon I got my ass handed to me regarding cost+delivery+customs

If you're thinking of going down this route, just go through demon tweeks for the GPtech one, this one wasn't worth the hassle - lesson learned

yzchris View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yzchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2019 at 21:47
Hi, just wondering are you still making these?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic