Trackday Riders Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > TDR ADVERTISER > Dealer/Suppliers Recommendations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Woolich Racing / RB Engineering ECU Tuning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Track Day Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woolich Racing / RB Engineering ECU Tuning
    Posted: 23 March 2015 at 14:18
Had my bike (2008 R6) up to see Rich from RB Engineering near lydney on Saturday for some ECU work (similar to flashtuning) and dyno set up and have to say that I was very, very impressed and would highly recommend to anyone considering having some ECU work done. 

Cost is about £60 more than a mail in flashtune but well worth the extra IMO, especially considering that you get a dyno set up and custom map / fuelling in addition to all of the ECU updates for that price instead of just a standard ECU flash. 

Rich is the official UK distributor for the Australian Woolich Racing software (his website is www.woolichracing.co.uk) in addition to his engine building and machine shop, RB Engineering, and he has a number of his engines running at British superstock / supersport and the TT if I remember correctly. He uses the dyno at Royston Edwards Performace Service in Caldicot so you get the benefit of both of their input when it comes to the fuelling. 

I'd been having some problems with the bike not running right following a mail in flashtune which hadn't worked out for reasons unknown and hence got in touch with Rich. 

The Woolich Racing software uses original UK power maps as opposed to the US ones and hence doesn't bypass the immobiliser, however this is something that I had wanted so I can go keyless ignition (it's a race bike). In advance of meeting me Rich had written an additional piece of software to bypass the immobiliser for me and flashed it onto a spare R6 ECU he has and tested it on another bike. Upon arriving first thing we did was swap my ECU for his test unit and run the bike to make sure that a) the woolich software cured my running issues I'd had (it did), and b) that it worked with the immobiliser unplugged (again, it did) 

He then just put the same software onto my ECU so we knew we at least had a bike that only revved itself up when you turned the throttle instead of doing it of it's own accord as it had been before!

From here on he began the ECU updates, changing the throttle and ignition maps with a run on the dyno between each update so that we could see how the changes were working. 

From there he moved onto the fuelling, removing a big lean spot in the mid range and adding fuel at the top end to help with a flat spot I had at 13,500RPM, back on the dyno again. The R6 has a separate fuel map (I learnt) for throttle positions below 10% throttle which he then added fuel to the help reduce chatter from the back end going down through the gears and makes the standard slipper clutch work better in addition to giving a smoother pick up from closed to open throttle. Back on the dyno again. He also modified the in gear idle for me for the same reason.

Finally when everything else was spot on he went into the injector mapping for me and tweaked the map for the secondary injectors which cut out at 13k rpm on the stock settings and now they're open all the way to the rev limiter. 

All in all I think the bike was on the dyno about 6 time over the course of the morning, and everything he did he talked me through on his laptop and showed me how and what he was changing. A real education and very informative morning, Rich and the guys from R.E.P.S. are all top blokes as well, very friendly and you could tell had a genuine interest / pride in making the bike perform as well as could be achieved. 

In addition, as the fueling etc is all mapped direct to the ECU I can now flog my PCV and get some money back!

Again, just in case you missed it, highly recommended! 

P.S. The quickshifter and launch control options aren't quite available for the Yams yet but are for Kawasaki and Suzuki but he showed me around the software on his laptop anyway and I have to say it looks impressive. Quickshifter has mappable kill time for every gear variable across throttle position and engine RPM, and when you buy a QS you get free launch control software on your ECU!
Bullet View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 16:56
Glad you got sorted mate, that was an irksome start issue.

Good luck next weekend,

AG
Track Day Monkey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Track Day Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2015 at 17:34
Originally posted by Bullet Bullet wrote:

Glad you got sorted mate, that was an irksome start issue.

Good luck next weekend,

AG

It was a little, to say the least.

Cheers bud, thanks again for letting us squeeze in with you guys on Friday.

Hope you had a good weekend, I had a quick look around for the results online but couldn't see them up yet. 

I got a couple of mates doing the endurance at Cadwell with hottrax over the easter weekend in the 600 rookie class and I think I'm joining them as the third rider so I might catch you there. 
bikemad View Drop Down
fast Group
fast Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikemad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2015 at 12:49
+1 for rich at rb great guy very helpfull can recommend him and the woolich stuff to anyone:D
Gimpy View Drop Down
fast Group
fast Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2015 at 16:07
big +1 on that from me aswell.....top bloke n a sweet bit of kit.....
VtiStu View Drop Down
fast Group
fast Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VtiStu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2019 at 11:34
Is he still going?
Trying to contact him but had nothing through facebook or via his website contact page.
Anyone have a number for him?
Track Day Monkey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Track Day Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2019 at 13:11
He was always a bit slow to reply, last time I heard a few months ago he was still going though. Think I’ve got his email somewhere PM me if you want me to dig it out.

Simon
2022 BSB Ducati TriOptions #19
2021 BSB Ducati TriOptions #19
2020 Street Stock 700 Champion
2019 Street Stock 700 Champion
2017 Street Stock 700 Champion
Sponsors
wscperformance.co.uk
wmstuning.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic