Trackday Riders Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RACING NEWS > Club Racing > No Limits Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Limits Race Reports - Long read

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Limits Race Reports - Long read
    Posted: 27 March 2016 at 21:15
What a weekend, here starteh my story.

So, a friend of my dad and mine wanted to come with me for my first weekend, I'm so glad he did.  Having someone to help proved to be fantastic.  He came over Thursday morning, we loaded the van and we left for Oulton from Kent.  Half hour in on the M25, we came to a standstill.  Great start.  40 minutes later, the traffic all started moving, and it was a simply trip until after Birmingham when the traffic went stop start.  Eventually after going down some dodgy small country lanes (sat nav took us the shortest route) we arrived about 4pm.  As we arrived, I realised how out of my depth I was, everyone was in caravans, lorries, even coaches.  If it were not for my friend, I would have been the only one with a trailer.  As it was, I was still the only one with a tent.  We unpacked, put my tent up, and blew up my airbed.  Got on it, it went down.  Got out the other airbed, it stayed up.  Lungs died after blowing up two double airbeds.  Anyhoo, signed on, got scruntineered, and went for a track walk. I got wet feet.  Went for briefing, came back out, it rained.  Done the BBQ in the rain, decided to call it an early night.  Got in my tent, covers, sleeping bag, was still freezing. Put on my hat, still cold, finally got to sleep.

Woke up, asked the people next to us if we could use their power to fire up my kettle.  They declined, but instead offered to make it for us instead, and also let me put my tyre warmers on their generator, another stress off the list.  So qualifying....

I'd entered into Cup/Pre Injection race, and also the newcomers 600 (mainly for tracktime as never been to Outlon).  The track was wet in the corners, dry on the straights.  Plodded around, got my bearings, ended up 24th out of 35.  Kinda the place I expected to finish both races so I was happy.  Next was newcomers quali.  The track had dried a lot more but still damp in places, plodded round again and qualified 16th out of 36.  Not bad for the only pre injection bike in the field.

Race 1 - Cup and Pre Inj
Dry mouth, heart beating, but totally dry track.  I got an ok start, got passed, passed a few.  Spent a few laps dicing with a few other bikes.  It was my first totally dry session, so spent the first half working out my gears, what lines, and trying to latch onto other riders to bring my pace up.  After a few laps I could see another novice, it was another pre inj bike.  Time to get serious, I had an R6 between us who I was quicker than everywhere but the straights.  He got past the PI on the start fin straight, so I made sure I got a good exit out of old hall.  Cascades was a chance, so I shot up the inside.  I kept a tight line into the hairpin, got a good exit and latched onto the R6 again.  A few laps later, he messed up the exit and I went over hill top in front, stayed in the middle of the circuit, got round Hislops and never saw the R6 again.  Spent a few laps by myself trying to catch some bikes in the distance.  Race finished, ended up 21st oveall, 1st in class, with a best lap of 1.36.1.

Race 2 - Newcomers 600

I'd not long been out in race 1, so lined up on the grid feeling more confident.  The lights come off and I get a fairly good start and make a few places, by cascades I'd made a few more places.  I then got behind a few bikes and stuck with them having no idea where I was.  There were 4 bikes in front of me, one has an issue as Hislops, down to 3.  The 2 in front leave us, which leaves another R6 in front.  Come over Hill Top he brakes early, I brake late and get him and concentrate on hitting my apexes with no-one in front of me.  A few laps later, a bike outbrakes me on the outside at Lodge.  I quickly realise its a lass I'd been speaking to (Nicole).   We come out of Cascades and she gets gap down the straight but I outbrake her to the hairpin. Coming into Hislops she outbrakes herself and goes straight on, as I come out she gets the drive and shoots past me up Clay Hill, a bit unfair, but meh, lets carry on.  I try to keep up but she makes a bit of a gap.  Coming out the hairpin at Brittens again, I get the wrong gear, a 675 ridden by Paul McDonald comes flying past.  I lose more ground, bugger.  But I make some back and we're coming up to a back marker.  Over the start line, they both go left, I go right, and I get the backmarker and Paul, I try for Nicole but not quite enough.  I keep ground, I'm faster round cascades and get a great exit, but as the speed rises she pulls away, I stay on the inside and outbrake her into the hairpin.  The last few metres were tight as a backmarker was in front and it was close, but we all got around.  My exit it compromised, but I cover the middle of the circuit and outbrake the backmarker into Hislops.  Its the last lap (didn't know) but all I could think was was apexes and covering the inside.  We come over the start line, flags out, race over.  What a race.  I pull in to find i'd come an utterly amazing 4th OVERALL!!!!!!  Wow, just wow.  Lap was down to a 1.35.5.

Race 3 - Cup and Pre Inj

My lap had put me 24th again for this race, ahead of the other Pre Inj lads, but lunch had been cut short, and I couldn't have been any further away from my bike after lunch (tannoy didn't work where we were).  I had to run the whole paddock, kit up, and get to the grid.  As the stands came down, the bikes were just setting off on the warm up lap, bugger bugger....  I get to the holding area and was put at the back of the grid.  Light go off, get a good start but the injected bikes are so much faster I don't really make many places, but as we go into the first bend I get a few bikes.  As we come into Cascades most go tight, I go wide.  A CBR600RR has to lift up and I have to roll off the gas, but by the hairpin I get a few more bikes on the brakes. Another one outbrakes at Hislops.  Theres a gap in front, but I make up ground and get another over the start line into old hall.  Most of the race is spent by myself but I do make a couple more places up.  Result was P17 overall, 1st in class, and a lap of 1.34.1.

Race day 1 over, what a day, Oulton is mega, I'd won my class twice, had some great battles, learnt loads, and it had been sunny all day.  I went to the awards evening and collected my pots and cheap bubbly.

It was due to rain all day Saturday, so I found myself a garage slot as the Endurance race folk were starting to leave.  I went to sleep, cold, again, but still extremely happy.

Day 2
No rain, but lots of cloud and heavy winds.  I was awoken by the sound of generators.
I went out for the Newcomers qualifying 2 to get the track conditions worked out, placed myself 13th.  After yesterdays 4th, I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere near that place, so I was really happy with 13th.  The wind was awful though, Im using 1 less gear on the start straight, the wind wants to pick us up at cascades, and Hislops and Druids its behind us and means having to be careful on braking.  It is what it is though, I've learnt more.

I then missed the Cup Practice session, as there was no rain still, and I wanted to save the rear tyre I had.

Race 4 - Newcomers 600
I get a decent start, but again by the first corner and out of it towards lodge the bigger power allows loads of bikes to pass me. I get a couple into cascades, and another at the hairpin. Over the next few laps I settle into a tussle between 3 bikes, picking off 2, then setting off after the 3rd who'd got past me earlier and had made a bit of a gap.  He's a few seconds ahead, but we make ground on other bikes and start to pick them off.  I get the wrong gear out of Cascades and a CBR600RR comes past so I get in behind and make chase again. I get past at Cascades, I love this bend, I seem to get loads of bikes on it :D  I spend the next few laps with nothing in front.  Result was P10 overall, with a 1.35.7 best lap.

Race 5 - Cup and Pre Inj

The challenge had been put down, and the other PI boys were gunning for me.  I was starting 18th, the the other boys over the next few rows behind me.  I get an awful start, front end comes up twice and two PI lads shoot past me.  I tuck in behind after the first bend, and at cascades (yet again), I get them both on the inside.  The wind is awful, leaves are flying everywhere, the bikes being picked up and on the next lap into the hairpin I get overtaken by Jamie Ingham on a PI bike.  He's gone in hard and messed up his gears and I line him up for the exit and get back past.  For the next few laps I get my head down and try to break him.  Theres a big group in front so I work at catching but don't make much ground.  At the hairpin I keep an eye out as I exit as as im on my out, Jame is on his way in so a few seconds gap.  I eventually catch a couple more bikes and get past.  I know I'm ahead but I want to keep my PI position so roll off a little keeping an eye out each time at the hairpin.  He's gaining a little, but theres 2 bikes between us.  I keep my head on the game, roll off more on the last lap.  I could be catching the guys in front, but theres no point in pushing it for a needless position.  I come over the line in 15th overall, 1st in class, and a lap of 1.34.1.

Race 6 - Newcomers 600
I decide to miss it.  The tyre hasn't got much left (rear), and as the rain hasn't arrived yet and I'm only doing this for track time, there isn't any point.

Race 7 - Cup and Pre Inj
The weather is spitting, but not by much, I keep the dry tyres on.  As I put my lid on, the rain starts more, but its too late.  As I pull out it get harder, the ground is now officially wet.  We stop at race control and Rob on another PI bike runs in and asks for it to be delayed.  We shoot back, swap for wets, and go back out.  Its raining, but not bad, we do the warm up lap, and as the lights go off, the heavens literally dumped the ocean on us, 3 corners in my boots are filling up.  I like the wet, but Rob comes past, my front feels awful (I love the wet too).  It gets worse and on lap 2 Jamie also comes past, I try to keep pace but this Pirelli wet is ruddy awful, I miss my bridgestones.  After nearly losing the front coming into Druids I decide to roll off and get some feel before going back on the attack.  As we come out of Lodge, someone crashes, its becoming unride-able and as we come into turn 1 the red flags come out.  Its too late to come in so we potter round at a snails pace to come back in.  By this point, Im utterly soaked, every apex is under 2" of water, the surface is insane, its just flooded.  We come back in.

Its now so bad, the rest of the race meeting is cancelled.  We pack up, I go get my other trophy, we head home.

I was aiming for 25th in each race and not to be last in class.  It couldn't have gone any better, I had a great time, spoke to some nice folk, and I'm now leading my championship.  The sh*t has got serious.  The bike needs some work doing as I had a few niggles, and only have a few weeks to sort out, but depending how the next few rounds go, will define if I have to get the credit card out to do more rounds for the championship.  What a weekend, WHAT a weekend.  I went home happy.

I've got front and rear cameras, but its taking 4hrs to save 1 race, so will take me a while to get done and upload.  But I'll update this post with the videos as and when I can.  :D

Edited by Daimo - 28 March 2016 at 15:48
http://bikersbitz.co.uk/
http://www.youtube.com/bikersbitz
Honda CBR600FX - No Limits PI Noob for 2016
Benelli Tornado Tre
koreanbaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
TDR No.1 Grass

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koreanbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2016 at 21:27
Well done👍🏻

Life is not a trial run!
Coops!! View Drop Down
Racer
Racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coops!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2016 at 21:28
Well done and good report 👍🏻
Rp1 View Drop Down
fast Group
fast Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rp1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2016 at 22:32
Good on ya, well done 
JOE77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2016 at 22:43
Cool bud well done

My report would go, I was at the back and got left for dead lol.
Fat Men Don't Bounce....
771# Radial Line Racing...
http://www.radiallinesheetmetal.co.uk

Daimo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2016 at 22:45
What races were u in again joe?
Benelli Tornado Tre
JOE77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2016 at 23:02
Super series number 771, got my arsed handed to me again just don't seam to get any more out of the old girl.
Fat Men Don't Bounce....

R6_Paul View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R6_Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2016 at 23:52
Great report Daimo, looks like you had a stonking weekendthumbsup

Was this your first go at racing?
You're never too old for a trackday :-)
PeterD View Drop Down
fast Group
fast Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 00:51
Great write up mate and well done !!
Tricky View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 01:00
am feeling your love/pain within the racing world, am/been there. excellent write up/report, one of the best in a long time. well done, onwards and upwards, good luck for the future. thumbsup
wallersrg View Drop Down
intermediates
intermediates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallersrg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 01:05
Well done fella great read good result!!!!, i was there but unfortunately no silver for me good experience though the weather was a little doggie thumbsup
rgw
2stop View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2stop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 08:25
Originally posted by Tricky Tricky wrote:

am feeling your love/pain within the racing world, am/been there. excellent write up/report, one of the best in a long time. well done, onwards and upwards, good luck for the future. thumbsup

+1 gréat results , Good effort.

Edited by 2stop - 28 March 2016 at 08:26
weeksy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weeksy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 08:46
Excellent write up.
https://revtothelimit.co.uk/index.php
Daimo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 13:26
Cheers all.

Yeah, first race ever, utterly loved it, you can ride with a bit more aggression than a trackday, the polite pass that you don't make now becomes vital to do, but it makes it so much more exciting.

I've got the first video from the Newcomers race uploaded.  Theres a small lul in the middle, but otherwise a lot of overtaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqlFLCjyMPo&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Daimo - 28 March 2016 at 15:06
Benelli Tornado Tre
JOE77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 13:41
Cool video bud.
Fat Men Don't Bounce....

Gizago View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gizago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 13:48
Nice write up that mate, sounds like a cracking weekend.
trackdaybob View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trackdaybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 13:48
Well done Daimo
Jaymo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaymo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 14:14
As others have said --- Great job
t5aby View Drop Down
Racer
Racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t5aby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 14:48
Well done, you must be buzzing stillthumbsup
t5aby
safjar View Drop Down
intermediates
intermediates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safjar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 15:33
Great footage, well done
Daimo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 16:01
Yeah, still on a mega high :)  Its all still bikes bikes bikes for me right now lol.

Race 1 of Cup/Pre Inj race up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsr5GrIeT5U

Edited by Daimo - 28 March 2016 at 16:05
Benelli Tornado Tre
PeterD View Drop Down
fast Group
fast Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 16:03
Originally posted by Daimo Daimo wrote:

Cheers all.

Yeah, first race ever, utterly loved it, you can ride with a bit more aggression than a trackday, the polite pass that you don't make now becomes vital to do, but it makes it so much more exciting.

I've got the first video from the Newcomers race uploaded.  Theres a small lul in the middle, but otherwise a lot of overtaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqlFLCjyMPo&feature=youtu.be

That looks like so much fun. I've got to try to get a race in at some point this year.
Daimo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 16:07
Do it!!!  I may only get one season in, but it's worth it, even if it is killing me financially.  I heard the newcomers was a bit of a mental race, but I thought the standard of riding was really good.  We all put passes on each other, but all with just enough space and respect, so I've got give a hand to everyone that rode.
Benelli Tornado Tre
Daimo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 18:57
Race 2 from Cup/Pre Inj 600 race now up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_my-a4YbIc

Benelli Tornado Tre
SteveO916 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveO916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 20:21
I was behind you in the first part of that Race one vid until I ran on at Cascades and had a little lie down in the gravel...

you were going well I and I couldn't keep up, no wonder if you were doing those times...

bizzarely I did my best lap times in the endurance race...
cheers,

SteveO

Daimo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 20:47
Just seen it, what happened?  Looks like you had a little bobble as you turned in?

That endurance race looked a mare to begin with with the red flag, then the 2nd red flag.  I wanted to do it, I'm glad I didn't, I was knackard as it was lol.
Benelli Tornado Tre
virgin costie View Drop Down
Racer
Racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virgin costie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 21:00
Well done glad it went well for you,looks like you got to grips with a new track quick enoughthumbsup
Short Burd View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Short Burd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 21:07
Fantastic write up and results. Nice one!
SteveO916 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveO916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 21:11
someone had stepped on my tyre warmer plug while I was out and broke one of the pins off, so cold tyre...it started to slide a bit as i tipped in so had to pick it up.

someone crashed into the side of me in the first endurance start, hit my foot so hard it bent my gear lever in so I couldn't change down (move it up)...his bike also hit my back wheel as it came back onto the track.
cheers,

SteveO

Daimo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 23:01
Got to grips with the track quickly, its really bumpy but I really enjoyed it.  Shame its so far away from me as its my fav UK circuit now!!

Steve), dude, that sounds like a nightmare.  Hope there wasn't too much damage overall from the weekend.  I need to do some work too, I have a binding brake issue (when they are hot and I come in, the fronts bind), plus I've put a huge hole in my fairing from grounding out.  PLus it'll need a service, so 2 weeks to sort it all out.

Next video uploaded :)

Benelli Tornado Tre
Daimo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2016 at 13:01
Why the meeting was cancelled.  Wasn't fun riding in this much water.

Benelli Tornado Tre
J@Y View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J@Y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2016 at 13:16
Fantastic results mate, and a testament to budget racing.

Your times are seriously quick for an old 600.. Our lads in the endurance did a quickest of 1.30 and that's on a 2013 ZX10 superstock bike!
newmick View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2016 at 13:17
Well done now you hook
Daimo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2016 at 20:26
Well hooked.  Theres also now some friendly rivalry between the PI boys who are asking me things, what gearing etc im using.  I'm not telling them lol.  Im competitive, especially now lol.

Was happy with the times, I think a mid 1.33 was on the cards if I pushed it, but no point in newcomers, and as I'd got 2 wins in my class, the 3rd race was all about staying ahead rather than going for overall position. 

If I get another win or 2 (4 races each round) and make a bigger gap in the championship, I'll really need to find a sponsor.  Its getting expensive already :(  Gonna speak to a few bike websites and our local big bike dealer, see if they would be interested.  I can only ask, they can only say no at worst lol.
Benelli Tornado Tre
SteveO916 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveO916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2016 at 09:50
send your write up to the local rag, they will edit it out of all proportion but the mention of race wins may attract some interest from local companies...
cheers,

SteveO

Daimo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2016 at 20:17
Thats a good shout actually!!!
Benelli Tornado Tre
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic