Trackday Riders Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > TDR ADVERTISER > Dealer/Suppliers Recommendations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nemo Moto Off track coaching

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stephen G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nemo Moto Off track coaching
    Posted: 22 July 2020 at 23:55
Here is my review of the off track coaching I received from Nemo Moto.

First off a bit about me, I am a long time track day rider, been doing track days for 6 years however my riding level has been a bit of a rollercoaster. First few years where alright t was lower inters at best but it wasn't until I got my gsxr 1000 that I took things seriously. Soon I was getting lower fast group pace but then I high sided and that knocked my confidence. Gradually got faster and started only doing cadwell and ended up doing a best of 1:45, not consistently mind you then mechanically failures stopped me riding and constantly played on my mind.

Now up to 2020 I'm excited to get back on the bike, first 2 days the mechanical issues I had played on my mind and then a month later to the next trackday and the week before there are 2 fatalities and now they play on my mind, coupled with some really close overtakes on me I just didn't enjoy myself, I even left before lunch on a open pit day and didn't really mind. (which has never happened before) 

At a bit of a loss I saw Nemo Moto's generous offer of £100 off, off-track coaching and while I as I am sure some of you are quite sceptical of how beneficial off-track coaching actually is (oh how wrong was I) I decided it was now or never to try out coaching.

So the day comes, we start off by him getting to know me as a rider and me knowing him as a coach. From the get go I could immediately tell this was going to be different from any instruction I had in the past we started off by dispelling some myths and talking about the theory of riding. However rather than just simply telling me he would ask me what I think would happen, what I think and rather than just tell me the answer he would feed me information to come up with the correct answer myself. This in turn makes the answer my own rather than me just blindly using someone else's answer as if I just copied their homework which in turn made me more certain of myself.

During the day we focused on improving one corner and each time before I went out he would set me a exercise for that corner. I actually feel quite bad as the feedback I was giving when I came in was quite vague and I believed to be useless but it was that lack of feedback which lead him to point out what i was possibly doing wrong and how to improve and sure enough he was right. As the day progress we covered more about how the bike works and how to make up time. We went through how to take some of the other corners and went through some misconceptions I had.

Then came the last session, the plan was to tackle 2 corners but in the end I could only focus on one at a time which he was fine with but wanted to make some progress on the other before the day was over which was Barn. So we discussed how I wanted to take it and how I can take it to maximise my exit out onto the straight. Unfortunately I wasn't able to complete the exercise he ask me to do at barn as it was still a bit daunting to me and before he felt came up with a plan so I could improve it as I was also riding that evening and the next day (without him coaching me).

So going into the evening I managed to take his plan and teachings and apply them to barn so that by the end of the evening I was both comfortable and consistent around a corn that not too long ago always made me feel a bit nervous. 

The next day I felt on top of the world, I started applying the same method he taught me to more of the circuit and felt in control and confident doing it. Throughout the day he would ask how I was getting on, while this may just sound simple it made me evaluate my riding and actually lead me to realise a few areas of improvement which was great. Come the end of the day I found I was so comfortable going round barn I even managed to get my knee down right on the apex (and getting my knee down is very rare).

So in conclusion then, I came into the day with a lot of experience but not much confidence and thinking of giving up riding. What I ended up with is a lot of knowledge that wasn't just handed to me on a plate but was drawn out of me or in the case that I was wrong he would provide me with information so that I could come to the correct conclusion myself. This style of teach made it so all the answers weren't just his but were my own, giving me confidence in those answers and in turn making my actions more assertive. I ended the 2nd day going consistently faster than I have ever been but most importantly I was doing it comfortably and in control. The teaching have allowed me to be able to identify where I may be losing time and how to improve whereas before it felt more like I was riding purely based off experience and wouldn't dare go fastest at the risk of falling off.

So to sum it up it was the best £250 I have spent by a longshot and has given me the tools I need to ride confidently, safely and quickly which has rekindled my love for track days again. For that I can't thank him enough.

I would also like to apologise to Nemo as I must have been a pain to work with, being tired for most of the day, giving vague answers and not sticking to the plan sometimes.

nemomoto View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Formerly stinkwheel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nemomoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 04:16
No need to apologise Stephen. I’m still in awe of how far you drove that morning. Completing the full day, then the evening and then a second day. Top effort that.

I’m over the moon you’ve regained your love of riding.

Really well done pal.

Lee.
The key to all success lies in the organisation of the non obvious
blacklines View Drop Down
fast Group
fast Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 10:33
Nice thumbsup Seems a reasonable price that too. 

Barn scares me too ha. Being blind you have to commit to it on entry. Plus my mate had a proper bad highside coming out of it. Definitely a tricky corner I think.
Owen
weeksy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weeksy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 13:39
How did it all work logistically then guys ?

You have a plan before going out and then talk through between sessions ?

Were you there Nemo or on the phone ?

Edited by weeksy - 23 July 2020 at 13:40
https://revtothelimit.co.uk/index.php
nemomoto View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Formerly stinkwheel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nemomoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 13:50
Originally posted by weeksy weeksy wrote:

How did it all work logistically then guys ?

You have a plan before going out and then talk through between sessions ?

Were you there Nemo or on the phone ?

Yes pal at the track. Because Stephen was doing both the evening session and the following day, I kept updated on his progress through texts.
Hurley View Drop Down
fast Group
fast Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 16:15
How would I go about booking a day? Is there much availability Or does it require months of notice? Been thinking of getting coaching for a while but was always unsure if it’s suitable for average trackdayer like myself or more for fast guys/racers.
nemomoto View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Formerly stinkwheel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nemomoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 17:54
Originally posted by Hurley Hurley wrote:

How would I go about booking a day? Is there much availability Or does it require months of notice? Been thinking of getting coaching for a while but was always unsure if it’s suitable for average trackdayer like myself or more for fast guys/racers.

PM sent
2stop View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2stop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 18:26
have assisted several people myself ,at Lower levels than Nemo is doing.
It’s a mistake to think you need the coach right behind you on bike at all times to progress.
That is massively helpful obviously, but don’t underestimate off track coaching, I was on the receiving end of a couple of “freebie” comments whilst being observed by pure luck at snetterton many moons ago..
It improved my technique at that part of the circuit and got me checking myself elsewhere.
The key is the person watching you really knows what they are looking at..
A coach will rarely see a lot else of the day as he will be looking and listening at “you” when your in shot ..
Definitely worthwhile imho.

Edited by 2stop - 23 July 2020 at 18:27
blacklines View Drop Down
fast Group
fast Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 09:46
My experience with instruction is one session with Liam Marchant at Parcmotor and some freebie comments by an MSV instructor at Cadwell. 

Following and being followed by Liam I learned one thing. That was the first lap following him as he took a steady pace to gauge my pace (novice group) he was going about 80% of my normal pace until we hit the flat right after going under the bridge. From that already slow pace I would have still slowed some to go round it but he just kept going at the same speed. Followed thinking everything else has felt slow so why should this be different and instantly learned I had much more space and time than I'd previously thought. Never would have entered that speed before following him and it was his slow pace up to that point that gave me the confidence to follow.

Aside from that it felt more or less like a normal session with nothing else really learned. It was speaking after the session that was most helpful. Taking later apexes, using more track etc., it was that stuff I was working on the final day and a half. Actually that kind of stuff you take with you through every subsequent time on track don't you. 

Likewise the MSV instructor spotted me in the paddock and said he'd followed for a while. Said I was top heavy in that I was committing a lot with my upper body but my lower half was planted in the middle of the seat. Quite tall so I guess it looked unstable as f**k from behind. I know a lot of people say it, and I'd already read about it, but from then on making that little bum shuffle to the inside has made every corner feel more stable and confident. 

So when I see off track coaching (Lee, Mike Edwards, Ken Hill, maybe Sylvain Guintoli now too) I think it's a great idea because to me the off track stuff is going to give at least 80% of the benefit. I guess everyone learns in different ways but makes sense to me thumbsup
Owen
Thumperbob2002 View Drop Down
Racer
Racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thumperbob2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 11:37
well, having a day with Lee pre lockdown has made my last two Trackdays at Cadwell and Blyton feel very easy and relaxed, and my pace has increased markedly which was the objective. 

Recommended. 
bricrewe View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricrewe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 15:43
Could u please pm me some details very interested.

Bri
nemomoto View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Formerly stinkwheel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nemomoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 16:54
Originally posted by bricrewe bricrewe wrote:

Bri

PM sent
bazzer107 View Drop Down
fast Group
fast Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazzer107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 08:47

Bri

Originally posted by nemomoto nemomoto wrote:

Bri

PM sent

Could I also have some details as well thumbsup

She said, "That bloody bike can't cook for you" My reply was, neither can you!
nemomoto View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Formerly stinkwheel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nemomoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 14:54
Originally posted by bazzer107 bazzer107 wrote:

Bri

Originally posted by nemomoto nemomoto wrote:

Bri

PM sent

Could I also have some details as well thumbsup

PM sent
Ter_ View Drop Down
Racer
Racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ter_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 11:28
I got a second off many moons ago from one simple comment from the man himself,

Deffo worth looking into people! Getting faster safely cannot be underestimated. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic