Forum Home Forum Home > TDR ADVERTISER > Commercial Adverts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSome exciting new tyres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2012 at 09:34
Cheers Bongo, as I said I would need to discuss with those that know what the set up implications would be. However, it's surely got to be down to the guys and girls riding the bikes to give feedback. But, it's still early days over here for these tyres and I think we're going to be in a similar situation that we were last year with the R10s, whereby nobody wants to use them until someone else has and there's data on the ground. Everything has to start somewhere and I'm hoping to get more feedback from the people that have already bought them and are now using them. 

As for racers, you buggers never have any money and want it all cheap or free!!! giggle
http://www.tyres4bikes.co.uk
Jack R1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2012 at 12:54
Originally posted by Tyre Geezer Tyre Geezer wrote:

As for racers, you buggers never have any money and want it all cheap or free!!! giggle

Yup :D
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague desire for something salty..."
Tyre Geezer View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 16:04
Well, just fitted a pair to a ZX10 for an intermediate rider. He went out for a session and came back in with the words "WOW, WOW, WOW, they're brilliant!" He beat a few other riders up he was that confident and the tyres are wearing beautifully. I really am amazingly impressed with these tyres and think they're going to do well. 
ellz View Drop Down
Racer
Racer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 16:07
Would these suit a gsxr750 k1 ? I'm currently running a 60 at the rear not a 55 and it tips in lovely. Do these tyres work well with tyre warmer? Reducing the heat cycles and what not ? Will you be at snetterton on thursday ? 
Cookie_Monster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Prev Known as R6_AFC

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 19:26
I've heard a couple of times their great for the road, but not so good for the track, the BMW comes with them as stock, but I never see anyone keep them.
Why does work always have to get in the way!!!
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 20:52
Originally posted by ellz ellz wrote:

Would these suit a gsxr750 k1 ? I'm currently running a 60 at the rear not a 55 and it tips in lovely. Do these tyres work well with tyre warmer? Reducing the heat cycles and what not ? Will you be at snetterton on thursday ? 

Yes they'll definitely suit your bike and will work well with tyre warmers. You can reduce heat cycles by keeping the warmers on between each session and I always say that it's ideal if you can put the bike onto stands in the van and wrap the warmers on for the journey home to help them cool down steadily. 

I'm not at Snett this Thursday, but keep an eye on the support diary to see where we'll be next. thumbsup

We can send out by mail order if that's easier for you.
BONGO View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 20:54
My point is NOT about the rider, as i would not ever put a rider down for his/her pace, but you cannot sell the qualities of a new tyre and base any potential competitiveness with the big rubber manufacturers of Dun/Metz/Pir/Mich, based on an intermediate trackday riders experiences in an intermediate trackday session.

If you want to sell these, you need to get them into the high end club racing scene, at a minimum, and have them on bikes that beat the other tyre companies.
Thundersport GB Superstock 1000 #177
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 20:55
Originally posted by Cookie_Monster Cookie_Monster wrote:

I've heard a couple of times their great for the road, but not so good for the track, the BMW comes with them as stock, but I never see anyone keep them.

Er, nope. The street version is OEM spec on the BMW. But, these are the RACE Attack and are NEW. So, they're still new in the UK and I'm trying to get them some track time and let people see them and try them for themselves. Allegedly, the Race Attack Street is being discontinued. But, these new tyres can't be that bad as we've now completely sold out and have to wait until new stock comes into the country next week, when we'll be getting the first delivery because I shouted loudest. :D
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 20:59
Originally posted by BONGO BONGO wrote:

My point is NOT about the rider, as i would not ever put a rider down for his/her pace, but you cannot sell the qualities of a new tyre and base any potential competitiveness with the big rubber manufacturers of Dun/Metz/Pir/Mich, based on an intermediate trackday riders experiences in an intermediate trackday session.

If you want to sell these, you need to get them into the high end club racing scene, at a minimum, and have them on bikes that beat the other tyre companies.

Well, if they buy them then they can use them. Continental are a world wide brand and have been making tyres for years. If you don't want to try them then don't, I can only suggest that they're worth having a go on. The decision is down to the individual if they want to use them or not - simples.
RogerC View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Site Sponsor - Decals + Leather Artwork

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 21:26
Just my 2d worth on this one.  A friend of mine...yes I've got onerolleyes...used to run nothing but Bridgestone or Pirelli tyres.  He is an accomplished racer having done (amongst others) the Bol d'Or.  A few years back (when they were new on the market) he tried Conti Road Attacks and was surprised a how good they were.  In fact they were so good he was blitzing everyone at a TD at Donington on them. So assuming Conti have progressed over the intervening years I would assume that these new ones would be more than enough tyre for anyone doing TD's from novice to top end of fast.

In all honesty I think that for most of us TD riders it is nothing more than a 'head/confidence' thing regarding which brand is best. 
Jack R1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 22:20
Well I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some half decent weather in two weeks time for the next Bemsee round at Brands. I'm genuinely excited to give these a try, even more so because at Snetterton last weekend the grid was 100% entirely on Pirelli.
NoGutsNoGlory View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bikers Munchausen's by Proxy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 22:35
These are a brand new tyre as the R10s were but the difference is the R10s were a lot cheaper than the opposition until proven which encouraged people to try them.

I love the R10s as you know Stef but these tyres would need to be £20-£30 cheaper for me to try them. If I was just doing track days then I might take the risk but on a race day you need to know exactly what you have under you so there is no incentive.

The sceptics out there might think you are pushing these tyres really hard as you are making more money out of them.....
Short Burd View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 22:43
hills
BONGO View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 22:56
Originally posted by NoGutsNoGlory NoGutsNoGlory wrote:

These are a brand new tyre as the R10s were but the difference is the R10s were a lot cheaper than the opposition until proven which encouraged people to try them.

Bang on there. Bridgestone made the R10's available to people in Thundersport for just over £200 a set, and that would give you a Bridgestone tyre tech to work with you to set the bike up with the tyres.

I guess i'm a sceptic then...
Originally posted by NoGutsNoGlory NoGutsNoGlory wrote:

The sceptics out there might think you are pushing these tyres really hard as you are making more money out of them.....
Thundersport GB Superstock 1000 #177
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2012 at 10:00
Fair point Nick, but I'm making the same out of these as out of every other tyre, so there's no incentive on profit for me to push them. I just think they're good tyres and thought it would be nice to let people know they're available. I do understand that some people will stick to what they know and like, it makes sense to me. As you said, the R10 was new and priced to sell cheaply and with support, but, they've pushed the price up a lot this year and we're now struggling to sell them as nobody has the extra money (most have even less this year) and Bridgestone were making a loss on the R10 last year as they wanted to get them out there and now need to recoup their losses from that one brand. 

Let's see what this year brings and how the tyres are received by those riding on them. You never know,they may even be as good as the manufacturer claims they are, who knows yet? dunno
Briggsy59 View Drop Down
Racer
Racer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 22:06

Originally posted by Briggsy59 Briggsy59 wrote:

I have had a problem with my Dunlop GP211 racers with the rear tearing, I am getting my suspension set up for me but I believe this is a common problem with the Dunlop, was at Brands Wednesday this week and saw some Dunlops there the same. Might be looking to change to something else so would be interested in some more info. Ive got an 05 R1. Steve

Yep, an all too familiar story I'm afraid. Don't get me wrong, Dunlop's are excellent tyres in general, but, they do have this recurring tearing problem which we're seeing more frequently these days.

However, the Continental are certainly available for your R1 as they make a 190/55X17 rear. The recommendation is to go for an endurance rear and medium front, to give the optimum response from the tyres. A pair of these are very inexpensive at only £255. I am very impressed with them and would strongly suggest trying them. 

Pressure would need to be set depending on your weight, group, use of warmers, etc. But, we can go through it all with you as and when you're using them. thumbsup

That sounds interesting, I ran the new Avons on a rented R6 on Sat at Snetterton and they were brilliant as well, it seems tyre manufacturers are finally making some really good tyres for us peeps. I thought the Dunlops were brilliant except for the tearing. I had previously ran Pirelli SuperCorsa's and didnt have the tearing issue but I was not circulating quite so fast then. I reckon I have 1 more track day left in the GP211 racer rear and then I will look to change. Cheers for the info.thumbsup
How many days to the next Euro event?
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 22:26

I have had a problem with my Dunlop GP211 racers with the rear tearing, I am getting my suspension set up for me but I believe this is a common problem with the Dunlop, was at Brands Wednesday this week and saw some Dunlops there the same. Might be looking to change to something else so would be interested in some more info. Ive got an 05 R1. Steve

Yep, an all too familiar story I'm afraid. Don't get me wrong, Dunlop's are excellent tyres in general, but, they do have this recurring tearing problem which we're seeing more frequently these days.

However, the Continental are certainly available for your R1 as they make a 190/55X17 rear. The recommendation is to go for an endurance rear and medium front, to give the optimum response from the tyres. A pair of these are very inexpensive at only £255. I am very impressed with them and would strongly suggest trying them. 

Pressure would need to be set depending on your weight, group, use of warmers, etc. But, we can go through it all with you as and when you're using them. thumbsup

That sounds interesting, I ran the new Avons on a rented R6 on Sat at Snetterton and they were brilliant as well, it seems tyre manufacturers are finally making some really good tyres for us peeps. I thought the Dunlops were brilliant except for the tearing. I had previously ran Pirelli SuperCorsa's and didnt have the tearing issue but I was not circulating quite so fast then. I reckon I have 1 more track day left in the GP211 racer rear and then I will look to change. Cheers for the info.thumbsup

No worries Steve, give me a shout if I can be of any help at all. thumbsup
Jack R1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 14:02
A fellow over on another (racing biased) forum just put this up

"In our german Minitwin Championship 80% of the Rider (incl. the place 1-8 in the championship) race the Conti.

It´s a realy good and cheap tyre. Most of us use the Compound FRONT / soft and REAR / medium "

Happy Days :D
Tinkling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Lifetime TDR Sponsor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 14:04
Originally posted by Jack R1 Jack R1 wrote:

"In our german Minitwin Championship 80% of the Rider (incl. the place 1-8 in the championship) race the Conti.

It´s a realy good and cheap tyre. Most of us use the Compound FRONT / soft and REAR / medium "

I know Christian, nice guy. He came over and raced his SV at Brands Hatch last year in the Thunderbikes.thumbsup
www.stevejordanmotorcycles.co.uk
Keeping it pinned!!
Copo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 14:32
Originally posted by Jack R1 Jack R1 wrote:

Sounds very interesting.

I've already used two sets of Supercorsas this year, so that's nearly £600 gone. anything that'll reduce that cost whilst not making me any slower must be good.

Mind you, at my pace I could probably run bicycle tyres at it still not slow me down.

Wirral 100 Minitwins #90
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 15:00
Originally posted by Copo Copo wrote:

Sounds very interesting.

I've already used two sets of Supercorsas this year, so that's nearly £600 gone. anything that'll reduce that cost whilst not making me any slower must be good.

Mind you, at my pace I could probably run bicycle tyres at it still not slow me down.

I've got some old knobblies kicking around somewhere, d'ya want them??? lol

We're going to see how these fare and what the feedback and results are from the people riding and racing on them over here this year. But, as I've repeatedly said, I think they're going to do well and the results from Germany do speak for themselves, let's just get some under bikes over here and see what comes about. thumbsup
Briggsy59 View Drop Down
Racer
Racer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2012 at 23:30

No worries Steve, give me a shout if I can be of any help at all. thumbsup

Ok mate will do. thumbsup
How many days to the next Euro event?
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2012 at 17:51
I now have my first set of these in scrubs!!! 180/55 rear, both front and rear are endurance compound but look mint and are wearing beautifully. We took them off the race R6 and replaced them with a soft front and medium rear for today's Mallory EMRA race. It's his first time there, first time on these new tyres and I am expecting him to win everything!!! :D But, even putting the bike in the van last night the tyres felt really sticky and I'm just waiting to speak to Dean to see how he got on and what the tyres did. But, those scrubs are rather lovely and would be a good way of getting someone on them who's sitting on the fence....;)
Skidmark View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2012 at 18:23
Got any pics?
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2012 at 21:12
Originally posted by Skidmark Skidmark wrote:

Got any pics?

Loads, what do you want to see - first holiday? wedding shots? DIY progress? giggle

Actually - not yet, as they're loaded up for tomorrow. But, I will take some tomorrow evening if they don't sell and then post them up against some new ones for comparison, m'kay? thumbsup
Paul02 View Drop Down
Racer
Racer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2012 at 22:23
Tyre geezer? If the r10s are being sold at the £225-235mark...
And the contis are going to be cheaper.. Million dollar question what's the price on these..

Uploaded with <a href="http://imageshack.us" rel="no
fruitbat View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2012 at 23:15

Originally posted by fruitbat fruitbat wrote:

do you know wot the prices are going to be ? ive run the Race Attack endurance for 2 years and found them out standing bits of rubber and cheaper than most other 

Yes mate, on track prices will be £245.00 per pair, irrespective of whether you're running 180/55, 190/50 or 190/55 rears. These prices will  include fitting and balancing onto loose wheels from us.

So, you can see that they are a cost effective option. I've also received all the blurb through about who's racing on them in Germany, I just need to trawl through it and then I'll post up who's doing what. But, it won't be until later on this evening. thumbsup

Och that's a jump up I was getting em for 160 a set delivered. But that was for the 160 r 120f
JD makes you a faster rider
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 12:23
Originally posted by Paul02 Paul02 wrote:

Tyre geezer? If the r10s are being sold at the £225-235mark...
And the contis are going to be cheaper.. Million dollar question what's the price on these..

R10's are £275 per pair and the Conti's are £285 for the soft/medium and £245 for the endurance (hard) compound. These prices do include postage or loose fitting on track, so expect a bit off if you're just taking away. And, yes, I do know the soft and medium are a tenner more than the R10, but, we're taking to Continental about sorting out a reduced pricing policy for the first year. Please bear with me as our hands are tied by what Continental dictate and we have no choice on prices yet. Having said that, the first batch of the soft and medium compounds are now in use and I'm just waiting for feedback after this weekend. Also some 160's being used next weekend on a minitwin at Brands, so some more feedback and data to work with I hope. Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 12:24

do you know wot the prices are going to be ? ive run the Race Attack endurance for 2 years and found them out standing bits of rubber and cheaper than most other 

Yes mate, on track prices will be £245.00 per pair, irrespective of whether you're running 180/55, 190/50 or 190/55 rears. These prices will  include fitting and balancing onto loose wheels from us.

So, you can see that they are a cost effective option. I've also received all the blurb through about who's racing on them in Germany, I just need to trawl through it and then I'll post up who's doing what. But, it won't be until later on this evening. thumbsup

Och that's a jump up I was getting em for 160 a set delivered. But that was for the 160 r 120f

When was that? Just be interesting to see when and how the pricing works.
fruitbat View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 13:28

When was that? Just be interesting to see when and how the pricing works.

the last time i had a set was in 2010 but did have 2 rears last last year which was very cheep. got them of woosters of leeds.
JD makes you a faster rider
Paul02 View Drop Down
Racer
Racer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 13:32

well, we've had some interesting days and today saw the culmination of some hard work and lots of testing.

Continental have now released their new Race Attack Comp tyres and the results have been awesome. CSS have now fully changed all their bikes onto these new tyres and will be using them for the remainder of this year at least - excellent news.

Plus, we did some more tests today while at Cadwell Park. Put a pair onto an R6 for one of the club racers and sent him off to play. The end result was that he took 2 seconds off his best ever lap time, which he posted in the height of summer last year. The tyres r emained in shape, did not tear up, got up to heat quickly, scrubbed in from hew in 2 laps, no tearing and superb grip, feel and feedback. Amazing!

I need to work out what the price is going to be, but, I can confirm that they will be competitively priced and will definately be less than Racetecs, Supercorsas, Power Ones and R10s, without compromising on quality either. I genuinely think these are going to be exciting tyres and will do some fantastic things.

I paid for r10s £235 from holbeach on the phone 3 weeks ago.. may be cheaper if cash and collection
A and r looking by there website £240 for r10s
Dennis trollope down the road from ME has racetechs on eBay £285 cash and collection cheaper maybe..
I am confused because you have said in your post they will be cheaper than the competition and by looks of it at £285 for the contis they are not

Edited by Paul02 - 09 April 2012 at 13:34

Uploaded with <a href="http://imageshack.us" rel="no
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 13:55
No Paul, you're bang on mate. I certainly DID say they'd be cheaper as that was the information we were given. However, this was for the Comp Endurance and they ARE cheaper than the R10, Racetec, etc... But, I do apologise, as I was under the impression that the compounded tyres would be the same, which isn't the case. Having said that, I've just had news that the guy who's racing on them did his first ever race at Mallory Park yesterday, on the the soft front and medium rear, for the first time ever and he came in second!!! I think that's amazing, considering first time on that circuit and on brand new tyres, I really am delighted for him. 
ellz View Drop Down
Racer
Racer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 18:12
You going to be at silverstone tomro ? By the looks of it I might need some wets :(
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 18:24
Originally posted by ellz ellz wrote:

You going to be at silverstone tomro ? By the looks of it I might need some wets :(

Hi Ellz, no mate I'm at Snetterton tomorrow with NL. First day back after honeymoon, so really not looking forward to getting up at 5am!!! :D
ellz View Drop Down
Racer
Racer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 18:29
Ahh ok no worries, any idea of who will be there selling tyres?
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 19:54

I've just had news that the guy who's racing on them did his first ever race at Mallory Park yesterday, on the the soft front and medium rear, for the first time ever and he came in second!!! I think that's amazing, considering first time on that circuit and on brand new tyres, I really am delighted for him. 

Who was this Stef and what class was he in?
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 20:14
Originally posted by MrsJ MrsJ wrote:

I've just had news that the guy who's racing on them did his first ever race at Mallory Park yesterday, on the the soft front and medium rear, for the first time ever and he came in second!!! I think that's amazing, considering first time on that circuit and on brand new tyres, I really am delighted for him. 

Who was this Stef and what class was he in?

Dean Callaway, number 321 on a Yamaha R6. Absolutely no idea what class he was in, probably rookies and he probably told me but I lulled into an old man's coma and forgot what he told me. blushgiggle
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 21:52

Dean Callaway, number 321 on a Yamaha R6. Absolutely no idea what class he was in, probably rookies and he probably told me but I lulled into an old man's coma and forgot what he told me. blushgiggle

Hmm, sure it's EMRA? Nothing in the results?, been looking obv as Nick racing an R6 with EMRA on the same day.
sonic View Drop Down
Racer
Racer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 10:23
The next great tyre...based on the results of a novice,I hope not.

3 championships and counting,how smug!!
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 21:27
Originally posted by MrsJ MrsJ wrote:

Hmm, sure it's EMRA? Nothing in the results?, been looking obv as Nick racing an R6 with EMRA on the same day.

Nope, not entirely sure. As I said, I wasn't really paying attention but will ask him and let you know.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic